20 February 2014

Helpful Phone Calls

"Did you know that you are required by law to have health insurance?  Do you need help obtaining health insurance under ObamaCare?  Press ONE to speak to a representative authorized to help you find affordable insurance.  Press TWO to be removed from this list."

Oh yippee.  You can bet I pushed all sorts of buttons and gave out all my credit card information, just as I did to those helpful people from the United States Computer Security Department who apparently were calling from our government offices in Bangalore.

Recently I've been dealing with stupid robo-dialing robots saying they have an important message for Elf or his parent.  Several times a day, some company I'd never heard of would call.  

A bill arrived from this company finally, explaining they were the billing agency working with the hospital we visited in November for Elf.  The bill was for the exact amount of a check I'd already received from the insurance company and so on.  So it was legit. 

I spoke with a representative about the inappropriateness of the excessive phone calls, particularly in light of the fact that I hadn't received the bill/explanation yet.  She was quite a lovely person and she did understand my exasperation.  I wound up spending I think about half an hour with her on the phone.

Do you know how she began working for this bill-collecting company?  She had breast cancer and they started hounding her.  She told them she would happily pay, if only she had a job.  And they gave her one.  That was four years ago and she is still happily employed.

I guess that phone conversation didn't go as I had planned it! 

4 comments:

  1. I have a few people who need jobs... I need to pass on that employment tactic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to mention, the employer got the money it was looking for back, and gained a grateful worker. :)

      Delete
  2. That is awesome that they hired her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! One of those "truth is stranger than fiction" moments there.

      Delete

Non-troll comments always welcome! :)

Bringing Garbage Home

Some people up the street were throwing this table away. It was in pretty bad shape and one of the legs was off. I've glued the leg back...